5 tips for creating great family portraits
Today I'm talking about something I've surprisingly never blogged about...family photos! Many people feel at a loss when planning their family photo session, so I thought it would be fun to dedicate this post to helping you plan for the perfect session! Here are 5 tips to help you achieve your perfect family pics...
1. Location, location, location. This seems obvious, but it's one of THE most important factors! Don't just go somewhere quick with a so so backdrop and bad lighting. Plan it ahead of time. This starts with talking to your photographer. Give them an idea of what you're hoping for. A lake backdrop? More woodsy? Want a barn in the background? A city? A good photographer will find you the perfect place to take your photos!
2. Time of day. Avoid the middle of the day when the sunlight is high and harsh. Aim for early morning or evening when the sun is low in the sky and you can capture that perfect lighting!
3. Wardrobe. This is a biggie. Think of this like you would if you were throwing a baby shower or birthday party. Come up with a mood board or color palette first (I chose black, white and blue.) This will help you when pulling looks for each family member. Avoid completely matching and definitely avoid plaid! Yikes!
4. Props. I personally am not a fan of many props, but a few things might be nice, like a strand of lights hanging or a cozy blanket to wrap up in. This can also help distract/entertain the kids if they have something fun to make them smile authentically.
5. Don't force the poses too much. A few staged photos are nice, but I tend to lean toward natural interactions. A good photographer will capture your REAL smiles and hugs which will in turn create more natural, beautiful, authentic photos as opposed to those very forced, awkward planned poses.
I hope this has helped you all with planning for your next family session! It's the perfect time of year for photos so I hope you all capture what you're hoping for!
Thank you to Tiffany Redmon Photography for capturing these special moments for us. Book your session at this magical, private residence now by heading to her website. Slots fill up quickly!
As always, thank you for stopping by Honestly West! Have a fabulous weekend!